There are so many San Diego family vacation planning tips if you are thinking about a trip to Southern California with the kids.
San Diego is a beautiful place to visit year round, but there are definitely times to go that will make your trip more budget friendly and worth while.
Is San Diego family friendly?
Yes! San Diego is so family friendly that they have a month each year dedicated to kids.
October is Kids FREE month in San Diego. You can find over 100 options of kids FREE museums, attractions, and dining during the month of October.
This is fantastic time to visit for families who travel on a budget.
We have actually been to San Diego during Kids free month before and it really is amazing all of the things you can do with your kids for FREE.
Aside from kid free month their are also many kid friendly parks, attractions, museums, beaches, and recreation activities for kids and families right in San Diego.
How many days should I spend in San Diego?
You could easily spend a week in San Diego with all the things there are to do with kids.
Plan on spending at least 3-4 days to see some of the major attractions and a day to visit the coast line.
What can a family do in San Diego?
Here are just a few of the things a family can do while in San Diego. Some of these are in San Diego and others are in driving distance.
- San Diego Zoo – A huge zoo with tons of unique animals and exhibits to explore with the kids.
- San Diego Safari Park – Once in a lifetime animal encounters and experiences.
- Sea World San Diego – Have an encounter with a dolphin or ride a coaster with your kids.
- LEGOLAND – Meet all your favorite LEGO characters with rides and activities for kids of all ages.
- Balboa Park – Several museums are located in Balboa Park including the Fleet Science Center.
- Old Town – Taste homemade tortillas, listen to authentic mariachi music, and explore the state historic park.
- Aquatica – Cool off at Sea World’s Aquatica water park.
- USS Midway Museum – Let the kids get hands on with real aircrafts!
- BIRCH Aquarium – Amazing ocean views and up close encounters with sea creatures.
- San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum– Let the children explore for a day of creative play.
When should I visit San Diego?
Tips to consider before you visit San Diego:
- San Diego can get hot during the summer months so make sure to check the weather and wear sunscreen
- Visiting in October (Kids Free Month) is a great way to save money, but it also means attractions will be crowded.
- If you are visiting during July avoid planning your trip during Comic-Con. Hotels are more expensive and local attractions and restaurants are crowded.
- If you get a hotel near the trolley it is a cheap way to visit many popular San Diego locations without having to drive.
Highlights of Kids FREE month in San Diego
I highly recommend taking the kids to the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park in October while you can get your kids in for free.
These are both the most amazing zoos I have ever been to. Both parks are huge and have tons of animals and things to see.
The Safari Park is especially cool with interactive animal experiences for your kids. So many hands on experiences like feeding the lorikeets and walking with lemurs.
If you are planning on staying a few nights in San Diego I recommend staying in Old Town. We try to stay in this location whenever we visit San Diego.
Old Town is a really neat Mexican themed area in San Diego. They have authentic Mexican restaurants and music on almost every corner.
There is also a big park with historic shops, museums, restaurants, and tours. Your kids can make candles here and see authentic Mexican folk dancing. Keep an eye out for blacksmith demonstrations and kid friendly lantern tours at night.
Don’t miss out on these kids eat FREE locations during kid free month.
Are you visiting San Diego soon?
Did you know about Kids FREE month in October?
Which Kids FREE deal are you most excited about? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!