This post is sponsored by Smart & Final. All content is my own.
During the summer months it can be difficult to keep your dog happy. Especially if you live in an area where it can get really hot, like Southern California.
Our dog is a husky mix, so he needs a lot of activity during the summer and we have to get creative to keep him cool at the same time.
How do you take care of a dog in the summer?
During the summer the main thing is to keep your dog cool and hydrated.
- Make sure they have shade when outside in the heat.
- Give your dog access to water both indoors and outdoors.
- Keep a fan and/or air conditioner on indoors depending on how hot it is.
- Be aware of the temperature outside and take your dog for walks in the early morning or evening to avoid the heat. Remember hot pavement can hurt your dogs paws.
- Don’t leave your dog in the car unattended during the summer months.
- Get your kids involved. Have them check their water throughout the day and teach them ways they can help keep the family dog cool.
What can I give my dog during the summer?
Since your dog may be getting less walks and runs during the summer months. Make sure they are staying happy and enriched with fun treats, toys, and play at home.
We’ve been taking our dog on shorter walks in the hills behind our home during the evening this summer. But, we’ve found lots of ways to keep him entertained and happy at home.
- Ice cubes – Put ice cubes in your dogs water for an extra cool drink. Our dog loves to eat them out of his water. We will even freeze an extra large ice cube for him to lick on the patio.
- Special treats and food– Pamper your pet during the summer with their favorite treats and food. I love to get ours in bulk at our local Smart & Final. It lasts a long time and is easy for us to order online through InstaCart!
- Kiddie Pool– Not all dogs like water, but for those that do fill up a kiddie pool in the back yard for them to cool off in. My kids love playing in their pool and with the hose with our dog.
- Play Time– Sometimes throwing a ball around the house or yard is enough to tire the dog out. Make sure to make play time outside during a time that isn’t too hot.
Just Paws at Smart & Final
This month Smart & Final is giving away gift cards if you submit your favorite pet picture before May 1st, 2020!
Share your pet pictures on Instagram too with #MySmartandFinal and tag @SmartFinal!
Can’t wait to see all your cute pet photo’s.
How do you keep your dog happy during the summer? Share your ideas with me in the comments below!