Since Earth Day is coming soon I thought it would be great to talk about ways we can raise kids who love our earth! After all this is the place they will be calling home for the rest of their lives.
With video games and television a big part of our current society it can be hard to get our children outside. This makes it especially important to make sure we are doing our parts to teach our kids appreciation of the planet we live in.
How to Raise Kids Who Love Our Earth
I’m not saying video games and television are a bad thing. We play too many video games at our home to make that statement. I just think it’s good to find a balance and ways to get our kids more aware of the world we live in.
Luckily there are plenty of easy ways to do this at home and when you are out and about! Here are some of my favorites:
- Go on a nature walk- Find a nature trail in your area to let your kids explore. It’s great getting outdoors and seeing the local plant and wildlife in your community. Your kids may be surprised at what they see or find.
- Build a bird house or feeder- Building a bird house or feeder is a great way to teach your kids about wild birds that live in your backyard. This can be as simple as peanut butter and seed on a pine cone.
- Recycle together- We have a handy blue recycling bin at our house. It’s fun to teach the kids what we can recycle and fill the bin together.
- Donate old toys and clothes- Teach your kids that rather than throwing away old things they can be donated and reused creating less trash.
- Visit a zoo or wildlife conservancy- Teaching your kids to have a strong love for animals is all apart of teaching them to love the earth. I really appreciate zoos that do an amazing job of educating children about endangered animals and their habitats. This shows them why it’s so important to protect the land we have for the wild animals that are left.
- Start a garden- Get a few pots and start a small garden in your porch or yard. There are a lot of kid friendly plants that are easy to grow. I love teaching my children how things grow and that we can grow our own fruits and veggies to use in the kitchen.
- Buy Earth friendly products- There are so many Earth friendly products available at the store. When we can I love to buy products that cut down on trash or are made from recycled material.
Raising kids who love our earth doesn’t have to be complicating. It can start with a few simple activities at home that will increase their love and appreciation of our planet!
Stocking up on Earth-Friendly products?
I’ve been loving the new Scott tubeless toilet paper which saves so much cardboard from the tubes. It makes me wonder why they ever put tubes in toilet paper and teaches my kids that there are better products to buy for our earth.
Do you have any tips for raising kids who love the earth? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!
You might also like: