This post may contain affiliate links. All content and opinions are my own.
Having a plan and a family emergency kit is important when unexpected situations arise.
You really never know when something is going to happen and when it does you want to make sure you have the right supplies and gear to take care of your kids and pets.
A few years ago we had a big California earthquake near our home and water bottles and supplies were selling out like crazy at all the stores. It was a big wake-up call for me to make sure that my family had our emergency supplies in order.
So, this year we are trying to put our emergency supplies in order.
Read on to find out must-have emergency supplies for your family!
How do I make a family emergency plan?
Before you start your emergency kit you should make an emergency plan. That way the whole family is on board and knows what to do in an emergency.
Here are some basics you should include in your plan:
- Go over plans for emergencies that could possibly happen in your area. For example, California is known for earthquakes and fires, so we have safety rules for an earthquake and fires that we’ve planned out with our kids.
- Make sure each family member knows where the family emergency supplies are and how they can be used in an emergency.
- Write down important information in a notebook with your emergency kit. Important emergency phone numbers and personal information like medications for each family member and passwords in case you aren’t available to help.
- Practice your plan with your kids so they are prepared when an emergency happens and can know where to find help if a parent is injured.
What should be in a family emergency kit?
When putting together a family emergency kit there are a lot of things you should consider. You’ll want to make sure there is enough to take care of your kids and pets for a few weeks.
Here are some items you can include in your safety kit:
- 2 weeks supply of food and water for each family member and pets.
- First Aid Kit
- Personal hygiene items
- Emergency contact information
- Personal information
- Medications for people and pets if needed
- Generark Solar Powered Charger
- Local Maps
How Generark Solar Powered Emergency Power Supply Can Help
One of my favorite emergency supplies listed is the portable Generark Solar Powered Emergency Power Supply.
It’s basically a battery powered generator that can give your family up to 7 days of power in an emergency. What’s so handy about it is that you can recharge your Generark with solar panels, so it can really get you through more than 7 days in an emergency.
You can also charge with an AC outlet or Car outlet if you are using it for camping and outdoor activities.
The Generark is powerful and can charge your phone, appliances, laptop, and more essentials. There is a USB, AC, and USBC outlets right on the Generark to make it easy to charge multiple devices.
Since the Generark is portable it makes it easy to use in an emergency. You could easily carry it indoors or outdoors and it could fit into your car.