Pregnancy is a transformative time filled with anticipation and a flurry of emotions. As the due date approaches, many expectant mothers experience a fascinating phenomenon known as nesting.
Nesting is characterized by sudden bursts of energy and an overwhelming urge to organize and clean the home. It’s as if a switch has been flipped, and you become a supercharged version of yourself, determined to create a perfect environment for your little one.
I remember going through nesting through all three of my pregnancies. I LOVED getting free baby stuff, particularly the baby boxes from Amazon & Babylist, so I could have more things to add to my nursery.
Read on to learn more about nesting!
When Does Nesting Start?
The nesting instinct can kick in at any time during pregnancy, but for some women, it’s a sign that labor is approaching. Typically, nesting occurs in the few weeks or even days leading up to delivery. According to the Mayo Clinic, here are ten signs that you’re nesting before your baby arrives:
- Deep Cleaning Frenzy: Nesting goes beyond routine tidying up. It’s an intense desire to scrub every surface and delve into the tiniest crevices of your home. From baseboards to ceiling corners, no spot is safe from your cleaning frenzy.
- Unstoppable Energy: You find yourself cleaning at odd hours, like 3 a.m. The world may be sleeping, but you’re up, and you’re on a mission to make your bathroom spotless. After all, why waste those extra hours of wakefulness?
- Laundry Overdrive: The laundry hamper becomes your best friend. You feel compelled to wash, fold, and put away every piece of clothing, towel, blanket, and even outdoor pillows. It’s as if you’re preparing for a laundry apocalypse.
- The Quest for Missing Items: Suddenly, you’re on a wild goose chase for household items you never even knew you needed. A salad bowl, tongs, new silverware, or a table runner become essential elements in completing your picture-perfect home.
- Nursery in a Day: The nursery becomes your main focus, and you’re determined to have it fully assembled, painted, and baby-proofed as quickly as possible. You want everything in place and ready for your little one’s arrival. You will be signing up for every free baby samples and shopping for ALLL the cute baby clothes, so you can get your nursery stocked up!
- Furniture Shuffle: Not content with just the nursery, you find yourself rearranging furniture throughout the entire house. Your kitchen, bathrooms, and bedrooms become a playground for your inner interior designer, as you shuffle and rearrange everything multiple times.
- Organizing Obsession: If you have an older child, their clothes become the target of your organizational prowess. Every tiny tee, pair of shorts, dress, and even Halloween costume must be neatly folded and stored, ensuring that both you and your older kids if you have them are fully prepared for the new addition to the family.
- Easy Dinner Quest: Suddenly, you feel an urgent need to plan out easy dinners. Whether that’s picking up easy meals from Costco or signing up for an easy meal subscription service. Don’t worry girl I got you covered with some deals I found:
– Blue Apron: Enjoy $180 off across 6 orders + Free shipping on your first order!
– Hello Fresh: Get up to 16 Free Meals, First Box Ships Free + 3 Surprise Gifts! Cooking as easy as eating!
–Home Chef Family: 10+ weekly meal options starting at just $3.77 per serving (with the 18 Free Meals promo applied),
- Decluttering Mission: The nesting instinct also compels you to declutter your home. Inspired by the KonMari Method or your own intuition, you become laser-focused on eliminating unnecessary items and creating a clean and organized space.
- Retail Therapy: On the other hand, you may find yourself indulging in a shopping spree. It’s not just baby items that catch your eye; you’re drawn to new sheets, a stylish doormat, or organic cleaning supplies. You want to be fully prepared for the arrival of your baby and ensure that your home is a sanctuary of comfort and practicality.
Check out our list of cheap places to shop for baby and best baby deals, so you can save some money on your baby shopping spree!!
- Packing Hospital Bag: The final part of nesting to get ready for your baby is packing your hospital bag. I personally loved picking out my baby’s first outfit and of course couldn’t decide which outfits to bring to the hospital and overpacked!
The nesting phase is a remarkable and natural part of the pregnancy journey. It’s a time when expectant mothers channel their energy and focus into creating a nurturing environment for their little one. Whether it’s through meticulous cleaning, organizing, or shopping, nesting allows women to prepare both physically and emotionally for the arrival of their baby.
Nesting is a fascinating phenomenon that occurs during pregnancy, signaling the approach of labor. It manifests as a surge of energy and a strong desire to organize and clean the home. From intense deep cleaning sessions to rearranging furniture and decluttering, nesting takes various forms but ultimately serves the purpose of creating a safe and welcoming environment for the baby. Embrace the nesting instinct and enjoy the process of preparing your home for the newest member of your family.