I love setting family goals and goals for myself, long term and short term. It helps me to accomplish the things I set out to do and gives me a sense of purpose, which is especially important since I am a stay at home mom, a job that can get a bit isolating.
A great thing about goals is that they can be set year round. Goals don’t have to be complicated, in fact making simple goals makes it more likely that you will achieve them. One of the things I love best is setting goals with my family, things that we all need to work on or want to achieve.
Family goals are even more powerful because you are holding each other accountable and working together to achieve the goals you set.
37 Incredibly Easy Family Goals
I’m always telling my husband about goals I want us to work on as a family. Right now one of the goals we want to start is saving for a Disney Cruise. This is something we could work on as a family, deciding together to not do fun family outings and instead putting that money aside for our trip.
Working through this goal together is a great way for us to bond as a family and teach our kids valuable lessons about saving for something they want.
Why is it important to set goals with kids?
When you are setting and working through goals with your kids you are setting a real life example for them to build on in the future.
Psychologist Gail Matthews conducted a research study that showed people who write goals are more accountable, committed, and accomplished.
By setting up family goals in your home your kids will:
- Learn how to create goals
- Understand the different types of goals (Long-term/short-term)
- Develop team building skills as they accomplish the goals with their family members
- Gain responsibility as they are an active part of completing a goal with the family
- Be more likely to create personal goals now and in the future
- Wake Up Earlier
- Be On Time
- Get Outside
- Pack Healthy Lunches
- Eat Dinner Together
- Eat Breakfast Together
- Set Clothes Out Nightly
- Follow Family Rules
- Nightly StoryTime (Young Kids)
- Set A Time To Unplug
- Family Game Night
- Weekly Family Dinner Plan
- Weekly Family Walk/Hike
- Stick to Weekly Chore Plan
- Have Kids Help With Weekly Shopping
- Use Reusable Shopping Bags
- Cook Homemade Dinners Together
- Family Yardwork
- Assign Family Jobs Weekly
- Visit the Library
- Keep Monthly Family Calendar
- Monthly Family Meeting
- Volunteer Together
- Set a Monthly Budget For Family Fun
- Try a New Family Recipe Each Month
- Save for a Family Outing (Dinner, Movie, Bowling, Mini Golf)
- Plan a Vacation as a Family
- Go on a Family Road Trip
- Annual Family Olympics
- Start a New Family Tradition
- Donate Old Toys/Clothes
- Make a Family Goal List
- Discuss Individual Goals
- Learn a New Skill as a Family
- Plan and Host a Family Reunion
Take your goal planning further and help your kids make smart goals that they can accomplish!
Have you set any family goals this year? What goals are you working on as a family? Are there any family goals you want to set? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!