With our busy lives it’s important to take some time for family bonding activities.
Creating a strong attachment between young children and their parents is so important in their development.
Doing small activities throughout the month will help your family grow a closer bond that will last a lifetime!
After you check these ideas out I’m sure you’ll love:
Family Goal Planning
Helping Your Kids Make Smart Goals
Toddler Activities When Mom’s Busy
The Best Preschool Board Games
Free Educational Activities
Stay At Home Activities for Kids
Outdoor Fun for Kids
The Cutest Frozen Toys and Games
What are the benefits of spending time with family?
There are endless benefits to spending time with family and growing a family bond with your children.
- Security– Creating a bond with your kids is important to make them feel secure and safe in their family.
- Importance– Spending focused time with your children makes them feel important and wanted.
- Confidence– Strong family bonds can build confidence and self esteem in your kids naturally because they feel secure and important in their family.
- Happiness– A bonded family makes for happy kids. Your kids are happy spending time with you. Focused time that makes them feel wanted and important.
Their happiness will carry over making them positive in other areas of their life. This study from University of Illinois found that children with a strong bond with their parents will be more positive and responsive with their peers and adults in the future.
Through family bonding you grow stronger as a family unit as you spend time together.
Parents gain many of the benefits kids do from family bonding feeling more attached to their children and watching them grow up happy in the family you’ve created for them!
How do you promote family bonding?
Promote family bonding in your home, on vacation, and while your out and about with the tips below.
- Create opportunities of time spent together. Don’t wait for family bonding opportunities to come to you, create them. Plan family activities and events.
- Get Unplugged– Screen free time promotes family bonding. When your kids are bored they can think up all kinds of games and activities to do together. They will want you to get in on the fun too!
- Turn activities into traditions, so you have planned times to bond during holidays and special events. Family traditions create extra special bonding memories that your kids will treasure forever.
Family bonding time with your kids doesn’t have to be hard! It can be as simple as giving them a kiss goodnight to spending a day at their favorite theme park.
Sometimes it’s fun though to mix things up a bit and create fun bonding experiences that your kids will remember forever.
Here is a handy list of easy ways to bond with your kids and don’t forget to grab your FREE printable Family Bonding Ideas List at the bottom.
What activities are done together in the family?
- Read bedtime stories for 10+ minutes each night
- Plan a family game night
- Go for a walk around the neighborhood
- Ask about their day at school
- Bake cookies together
- Sing aloud together in the car
- Tell them how much you love them
- Plan a one-on-one date with your child
- Play tag
- Watch a family movie
- Play dress up
- Put on a play
- Jump on a trampoline, make up fun trampoline games
- Go swimming and play pool games
- Go stargazing in the back or front yard
- Start a new family tradition
- Have family dinner or breakfast daily
- Make time for no electronics
- Read a chapter book series together
- Go on a scenic family drive
- Go roller skating/ice skating
- Learn more about your child’s interests
- Make a craft
- Let the kids help make an easy dessert
- Ride a roller coaster
- Go on a family bike ride
- Plan a family picnic
- Plant a garden
- Carve out time for daily play
- Encourage your kids in their hobbies
- Let your kids help make the grocery list
- Go on a family road trip/day trip
- Get out some coloring books
- Draw pictures
- Learn how to play your child’s favorite video game
- Go camping
- Involve the kids in vacation planning
- Make yearly, monthly, weekly family traditions
- Explore some old family photos
- Tell stories about your childhood
- Ask questions about your child’s day
- Volunteer for a local cause
- Learn a new skill/hobby together
- Have a family contest/competition
- Create a schedule of family events
- Start a family YouTube channel
- Do a science experiment
- Take a class together (Art, exercise, cooking)
- Make family goals
- Volunteer in child’s classroom
- Go on a class fieldtrip
- Attend your child’s extra curricular events
- Build a LEGO set
- Make a blanket fort
- Start a new family tradition
- Go on a family hike
- Play a board game. We love Monopoly!
- Have a family Pokemon card tournament
- Build a world with your kids in Minecraft
- Tell jokes
- Donate old toys together
- Have a small, family only, birthday party
- Go to the park
- Take a weekly trip to the library
- Have a themed story time
- Video chat with the kids when you are away
- Surprise your kids with a trip or fun activity
- Decorate a cake or sugar cookies together
- Go out for a family dinner
- Stick a note in their school lunch
- Find shells at the beach together
- Let your kids help with holiday baking and decorating
- Have a water gun/balloon fight
- Have a staring contest
- Listen and respond when your kids are talking
- Visit a zoo or museum together
- Make ice cream sundaes
- Learn a new game
- Go to a concert
- See a drive in movie
- Play instruments and sing together (Family Band?)
- Have weekly family meetings
- Go swimming
- Build a sand castle
- Feed the ducks at a park
- Pick out a family pet together
- Give your kids a big hug
- Make a secret code
- Go to a theme park
- Sing Karaoke
- Make dinner together
- Make a family calendar together
- Plant a tree
- Go on a bus/trolley ride
- Climb a rock climbing wall
- Blow Bubbles
- Make up stories
- Tell spooky stories
- Dance around the house
- Go searching for bugs, birds, wildlife
- Have a nature scavenger hunt
- Start a family piggy bank, save for a family trip or activity!
- Have a family slumber party
- Ask your kids what they want to do when they grow up
- Make a backyard fire pit, then make S’mores.
- Make chalk art in the driveway
- Play in the sprinklers
- Learn a new song
- Have a family pizza party
- Go searching for Pokemon
- Make Your Own Stained Glass Window Drawings With Crayola
Kids feel so much more safe, secure, and happy when they have a strong bond with their parents.
A lot of the things on this list are quick and easy to do. Picking even one bonding activity to do each day, week, or month goes a long way in developing a stronger bond with your kids and family.
Large Tree Swing Ideal for Family Bonding or Kids Playtime – Great for Outdoor Use in Backyard, Playground and Parks to Keep Kids Physically Active while Having FunWatch Ya’ Mouth Family Edition – The Authentic, Hilarious, Mouthguard Party Card GameArmoGear Infrared Laser Tag Blasters and Vests – Laser Battle Mega Pack Set of 4 – Infrared 0.9mWOutdoor Ring Toss Game by Rally & Roar for Adults and Kids – Rings Tossing Set, Plastic and Rope, Jumbo Pieces for Outside Family Activities – Ring Toss Sets for Yard, Law, Backyard, Parties, Bars
Get all of these ideas FREE in a printable list >>> 100+ Family Bonding Ideas!
How do you bond with your kids? What are your favorite bonding activities to do with them? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!