The value of kids dress up time is immeasurable.
It always amazes me the ability that children have to be creative, making up their own stories and finding new ways to have creative play even by themselves.
This takes me back to when I was a child. I still have early memories of making up songs and stories with my toys. I’m sure the opportunities my parents provided me to be creative with art supplies, toys, and activities helped me grow into the creative person I am today.
Now that I have kids I want to foster that same creativity within them. Help them grow into creative little individuals and learn who they are through activities and play!
Why is dress up important?
One of the ways to promote creative play within your children is providing them with ways to expand their imagination.
- Get a variety of dress up clothes for your child to express their interests. If they like princesses get them different princess dresses. Mix it up a little so they can explore with things like career dress ups (doctor, police officer, veterinarian)
- Make it fun with stories, games, and songs that go along with their dress ups. Put on some Disney princess music while your little one is playing princess. Sing their favorite princess songs with them.
- Get accessories for your little one to take their creative play to the next level. Doctors kit, play kitchen, princess jewelry and shoes.
Here are some of the benefits children get from playing dress up:
One article by the American Psychological Association discusses that most psychologists agree that there are many benefits to giving children more time to explore and play.
- Creativity– Their brains are growing during dress up play as they get to think while pretending to be a different character.
- Confidence– They grow confidence when dressing up as they can be who they are exploring what interests them.
- Social Skills– Kids gain social skills when playing dress up with other children as they explore and pretend together.
- Education– Children who have more time to participate in creative play gain a richer vocabulary and understanding of things around them.
- Happiness– All kids need time to be kids. Playing makes your children happy and playing dress up is just fun!
What can I put in a dress up box?
Do you have a child who loves dress up?
I highly recommend putting together a dress up box for them!
Our favorite dress ups are from Little Adventures. They have the cutest variety of princess dress ups and more fun items for boys and girls.
Little Adventures also has accessories like shoes, jewelry, crowns, and more for your dress up box.
What does dress up play mean?
Dress up play is simply engaging in play while your child is dressing up.
Play with them, make up a story, take them on an adventure.
Here is an example of a dress up adventure we took our daughter on when she was a toddler.
She was already very excited to have her costume on before we left the house and was dancing around like a little princess.
As soon as we got to the park we let her take the reigns and explore. While we followed and took photos.
It was so fun watching her walk around like a little princess exploring in nature. The setting was so true to Snow White’s character, which made it even more fun.
There is a little castle at the park next to our house, which was very exciting for our little princess.
Our dress up adventure was so much fun! It’s easy to see how much creative play she got out of it.
What does your child like to dress up as? Do your children love pretend play? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!